Intrastate DOT Number


Need an Intrastate DOT Number?

  • Used for intrastate commerce
  • Also called Intrastate Operating Authority
  • We do all the paperwork


Get Your USDOT Number and Intrastate Operating Authority

Don’t let paperwork slow your new company down. If you only haul your own property or if you are intrastate (you stay within one state), you typically only need a DOT Number. We can file the paperwork to get your USDOT Number for a low cost! Simply add Interstate DOT number to your cart and we’ll ask you for the information we need.

If you contact us during regular business hours, we will call you within one hour with your USDOT Number. Submit the application outside of business hours and we’ll have everything to you early the next business day, if not sooner. If we fail to call you within one hour during our regular business hours, we will give you a $50 credit toward enrollment in our USDOT Compliant Drug & Alcohol Testing Consortium.

What is a USDOT Number and Who Needs One?

A USDOT Number acts like a unique driver’s license for your trucking company. It’s where your company’s records are stored, including any past violations. You typically need a USDOT Number if you are:

  • Transporting hazardous materials that require a safety permit


  • Have a vehicle or vehicle and trailer that have a gross vehicle weight rating over 10,000 pounds
  • Transporting more than 8 people (including the driver) across state lines
  • Transporting more than 15 people (Including the driver)

Want to learn more about USDOT Numbers? Check out this video:

Hauling Intrastate vs. Interstate

Where you plan on operating your trucking company can help determine what you need to keep your company compliant with the FMCSA. Two of the main types of commerce are interstate and intrastate. Here’s a brief overview of the two:

    • Intrastate Commerce – If you’re hauling intrastate, that means you’re only hauling loads in one state. Unlike hauling interstate, you might not need your operating authority, and you may find that it’s cheaper to get your company on the road. However, you could be missing out on long hauls that go across multiple states.
    • Interstate Commerce – Interstate commerce means you’re planning on hauling loads in more than one state. Not only do you need your USDOT Number, you’ll also need your motor carrier authority, which means you also need your MC Number, the FMCSA Filing Fee, and the BOC-3. We can help with that, too!

Have Any Questions?

If you have any questions about what you need to get your trucking company started, give the coaches at Motor Carrier HQ a call! We can answer any questions you have about getting your new company on the road. Don’t let paperwork slow you down!

Contact Motor Carrier HQ

Why Choose Motor Carrier HQ?

Low Price Guarantee

$95 Low Price Guarantee

We are so confident we offer the best price for our services that if you can find a better advertised price, we’ll beat it by $10. Go ahead, look around, bet you can’t find anything lower.

Quality Guarantee

Quality Guarantee

If there is a delay in processing your application or if it is rejected because of an error on your application, we’ll refund $95 of your fee. Even if it is an error you made that we should have caught.

Common Questions

[accordion autoclose=”false” openfirst=”true” clicktoclose=”true”] [accordion-item title=”How Do I Get Started?”] Take 5 minutes to complete our simple online application, which will help us gather the information we need to complete your FMCSA Registration.
[/accordion-item] [accordion-item title=”Do I need a DOT Number?”]
      • Does your vehicle or vehicle and trailer have a gross vehicle weight rating over 10,000 pounds?
      • Is your vehicle designed to transport more than 8 people (including the driver), and do you cross state lines?
      • Is your vehicle designed to transport more than 15 people (including the driver)?
      • Do you transport hazardous material in quantities requiring placarding?

If you are for-hire, meaning you are hauling other people’s property, and you cross state lines, you will probably need an operating authority, as well.  We can help you get your Motor Carrier Authority.
[/accordion-item] [accordion-item title=”What do I need to provide?”]

      • We will ask you for everything we need to complete your FMCSA Registration with our simple application process.
[/accordion-item] [accordion-item title=”How long does the filing take?”]
      • Once you have your number and everything else is in place to run your business, you are good to go.
      • We’ll stay in contact with you throughout the process so you stay informed.
[/accordion-item] [accordion-item title=”Are there any hidden costs?”]

While there are no hidden costs, a few different factors may determine if there is a higher cost to starting your own trucking company:

      • The process is pretty simple if all you need is a DOT Number, there are no other costs tied directly to obtaining your USDOT Number.
      • Depending on your type of operation, you may need other services including: Drug & Alcohol Consortium, Audit Assistance, etc.
      • You may also need additional filings depending on what and where you haul. If you are unsure, just give us a call and we’ll help you out.
[/accordion-item] [/accordion]


There are no reviews yet.

Be the first to review “Intrastate DOT Number”

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *