Safety Tips for Holiday Driving
During the holiday season, people may not be driving as safe as they should. Whether it’s to see their family or finish last minute holiday shopping, we all need to take the time to obey the rules of the road.
At Motor Carrier HQ, we want you to be safe so we’ve written down some easy-to-remember safety tips for any and all drivers.
- First and foremost, buckle up. Not only is it the law in most states, it will keep you safe in accidents or sudden stops.
- Prepare your truck for the long distance travel so you can avoid being stranded on the roadside.
- Pay attention to the road ahead, not just the vehicle in front of you. This will make is so you see the problems down the road.
- Map out your route a day or two before you head out on your trip. It will show you your exits and you will be able to plan your stops ahead of time.
- Put together an emergency kit. If the weather gets so bad that you need to pull over, you want to be prepared. Stock your cab with a battery-powered radio, flashlight, blanket, bottled water, basic first aid kit, shovel, flares jumper cables and chains.
- Make sure to keep your distance. You know your truck takes longer than a passenger vehicle, but it takes even longer when the road is slippery or wet. Measure your driving by the weather to make sure you’re safe.
- Stay alert at all times. Distracted and stressed drivers may make sudden lane changes around you when they realize they’re about to miss their exit. Be aware of drivers like this. Also, be extra cautious if you notice someone enter your blindspot.
We know that everyone is in a hurry this time of year, but try to think of everyone on the road like family. Everyone wants to make it to their families and safety is the key to the road. Here at Motor Carrier HQ, we want you to have safe travels and a happy holiday.