Following the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration’s (FMCSA) regulations and compliance rules is not something any of us enjoy doing, but it is a critical part of any trucking company. Not following DOT’s regulations will stop your truck from rolling just like an accident will. With a little bit of help from us, we can make the maze of rules less of a burden, so you can focus on what makes your company money. Here are some of the basic things you need to do before you hit the road for the first time.
Drug and Alcohol
You need to comply with all the drug and alcohol rules. Here are the basic items every trucking company has to have:
- A drug and alcohol policy
- Literature for your drivers that covers the driver requirements and explains the policy to them
- DOT-approved pre-employment drug tests completed for any driver you hire and negative results before they are able to drive
- Membership in a DOT-approved consortium (a fancy word for a random drug and alcohol testing pool) for every driver
- Obtained or attempted to obtain three years of drug testing history from their previous employer(s) for any driver who has been working in a DOT-regulated job
We have a simple flat-rate program that meets all the requirements. If you are an owner operator or only have one driver, you can purchase it online in our store. If you have more than one driver or want to ask some questions about the program, give one of our coaches a call and they can help you out.
Driver Qualification (DQ) Files
Before a driver can get behind the wheel you have to create a file that basically shows they are qualified to drive a commercial vehicle. Here are some, but not all, of the items that need to be in the file:
- Employment application
- Copy of their MVR (Motor Vehicle Record)
- Driver’s road test and certificate or equivalent
- Medical examiner’s certificate
A driver qualification file is one of the folders in our Audit Assistance Package. It lists everything a DQ file has to have and lets you know which items need to be updated and when.
Items You Need in Your Truck
There are a lot of items you need on and in your truck to meet the FMCSA’s compliance requirements. We created a simple one page document that lists the federally required items, and we’ll even share it with you for free. Just fill out the form below to download your free copy.