If you’ve started your own trucking company and have more than one driver, you may be required to certify that you’ve provided a drug and alcohol abuse training to your supervisors. Motor Carrier HQ offers a training course that’s completely online and fulfills the requirements set by the FMCSA.
What Do I Need to Do to Meet the Requirements?
Trucking companies with two or more drivers are required to have a supervisor that has taken a course on recognizing indicators that create a reasonable suspicion that a driver is under the influence of alcohol or drugs. It should also outline the process on how to refer that employee for testing. The FMCSA requires that the training includes:
- 60 minutes of training on the symptoms of alcohol abuse
- 60 minutes of training on the symptoms of controlled substances use
Take Our Online Supervisor Training
While there are no regulated training offered by the FMCSA, our 120-minute course covers everything you need to know, plus we provide a certificate to prove you went through the course in case of a safety audit or compliance review. This course is taken through an interactive online learning system, meaning you can complete this training anywhere. You don’t have to come to our office to do it.
What’s Included in Our Course?
Our comprehensive 120-minute curriculum includes lessons in:
- Personal problems versus drug/alcohol
- Addictive disease and enabling
- Common supervisor myths
- Rationale for reasonable suspicion training
- Major drug categories and types
- Understanding alcoholism
- All about beverage alcohol
- Understanding denial
- Excuses employees use when confronted
- Understanding tolerance and impact
- Cross tolerance and cross addiction
- Loss of control: what it really mean
- Understanding denial
- Drug photos, categories, symptoms
- Performance signs and symptoms
- What to measure with job performance
- Avoiding armchair diagnosis
- Enabling: coworkers, supervisors, and others
- Work performance curve for drug users
- Drugs of abuse chart
- Confronting behavior: three ways
- Follow-up with employees
After the appropriate personnel have taken the courses, you will be provided with a certificate that proves your completion of this fulfillment. You can then print this certificate out to keep for your own records.
I’m an Owner Operator. Do I Need This Training?
If you are an independent owner operator operating under your own authority with no other employees, you are not required to get this training. However, you are most likely required to join a drug and alcohol consortium like the one we offer.
If you want to register for the course or have questions, give us a call. We’re happy to answer any questions you may have or help you get started!