If your trucking company is operating commercial motor vehicles that pick up and haul loads only in Texas, you are required to have a Texas DOT number. The Texas DOT number, also called the TxDMV number is not to be confused with a USDOT number as part of your operating authority. This is mandated by the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), not the FMCSA.
Start getting your Texas DOT number with the help of Motor Carrier HQ today!
How Motor Carrier HQ Can Help
Like every other step of starting your own trucking company, we’re here to take care of the paperwork for you and keep your trucking company on the road. We know how confusing all the rules and regulations can be, which is why we’re here to help you navigate each step and stay compliant with the FMCSA or in this case, the Texas DMV.
Something unique about working with us is that while we’re not an insurance company, we can help you prepare all of the steps necessary to get your TxDMV number, including finding an insurance company that meets the requirements set by the Texas DMV to fill out Form E on the application form.
Who Needs a Texas DOT Number?
We’ll help you determine whether or not you need a TxDMV Number. If you need a general idea of who needs this number, the Texas DMV states you need a Texas DOT if you are:
- Using a vehicle or combination of vehicles with a GVWR, registered gross weight, or gross weight over 26,000 pounds
- Transporting hazardous materials
- Operating farm vehicles with a GVWR, registered gross weight, or gross weight over 48,000 pounds
- Transporting more than 15 passengers, including the driver
- Operating a commercial school bus
- Transporting household goods for compensation, no matter the weight of the vehicle
Our coaches will help determine if you need one or not. We never want you to pay for something you don’t need.
Get Your Texas DOT Number
If you need a Texas DOT number to operate in Texas, leave all of the paperwork to us. We can help you get everything you need to keep your trucking company compliant. Call us today to get started!